[mythtv-users] Lousy picture quality on normal TV

Rob Willett rob.mythtv at robertwillett.com
Thu Apr 15 14:46:47 EDT 2004

Well I've got most of mythtv working now. Thanks for the help to date to
everybody who answered my calls for help.

I've got the TV-Out function working on my GeForce MX card and discovered the
utter crap picture. It's washed out with little lines everywhere. It's as if the
picture isn't stable. On my monitor the picture quality is fine.

I've looked around the various websites and can't find anything that helps me. I
downloaded the nvtv code to discover it doesn't work on my GeForce MX card
(typical).

I have the S-Video cable going out into a S-Video to Scart adaptor. The TV is a
cheap but good Toshiba 18" (or so). It's a portable to get things going. My
widescreen downstairs doesn't have a Svideo adaptor socket either.

The picture is poor in both 800x600 and 640x480. It's as if the edges of things
have tiny purple lines going across them, which makes the picture dance.

I've tried the kerneldeint and denoise3d options as suggested in the manual. All
the suggested settings seem to make no difference at all. I've set the
XF86Config to use SVIDEO and SCOMPOSITE as suggested in the nvida manual.

Is this a simple fact of life with a GeForce card into a SCART only TV, crap
piocture? or is there some magical program that sets all the various parameters
up. Would it be worth getting a proper SVideo to SCART adaptor?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.