[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Help w/Homebrew IR Transceiver

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Thu Apr 15 12:18:18 EDT 2004

I posted this to the LIRC list first, but haven't received a response. This
list is much more active. Hopefully there's someone here who can answer
this...

I'm going to make a transceiver based on the simple circuits provided on the
website, but it's been 10 years since I've done anything with electronics,
so I wanted to make sure I've got everything laid out correctly...

Following the schematic at http://www.lirc.org/images/schematics.gif :

My IR Module is a Radio Shack 276-640 and its leads are labeled "Out",
"Gnd", and "VCC". These will correspond to the labels on the schematic as
follows:

Out => data
Ground => (-)
VCC => (+)

Is that correct?

The long leg of the capacitor is (+) (and should connect to the VCC of the
IR Module and the Out of the Voltage Regulator), right? (The short leg would
then connect to ground)

The band on the Diode is (+) and should connect to the In of the Voltage
Regulator and to the resistor, right? (leaving the end without the band to
connect to pin 7 of the D-SUB)

Now, if I'm going to combine this with the simple transmitter circuit at
http://www.lirc.org/transmitters.html :

I connect pin 5 of the D-SUB to the non-banded side of the diode, the banded
side of the diode to the resistor, the other resistor lead to the short leg
of the IR LED, and the long leg of the LED to ground. Is this right?

Please let me know if I've done anything wrong. (Will I damage anything by
connecting it incorrectly? I seem to recall that a capacitor can explode if
installed backwards. Can I fry an LED or the IR Module if I do this wrong?)

Thanks,
Scott

---