[mythtv-users] Use of videos

Paul W. Smith cvpsmith at ncche.olemiss.edu
Thu Apr 15 10:26:14 EDT 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 7:02 am, Rob Willett wrote:
> Understood. Oh well, another 'foible' to get used to <grin>.
>
> Rob.
>
> Quoting "J. Donavan Stanley" <jdonavan at jdonavan.net>:
> > Rob Willett wrote:
> > >When I rip a DVD it doesn't automatically appear in my videos. I have to
> > > go

> > >video lists first, try and pull the data back from the IMDB database and
> >
> > then
> >
> > >and only then does it appear in the videos. Is this the normal behavior?
> >
> > The act of going into the video manager rescans your video directory for
> > files so yes this is the proper behavior.  You shouldn't need to try and
> > pull IMDB info, just visit the manager and exit out of it again.

One thing that I've learned is that, in both Music and Videos, you can disable
the connections between the files and the metadata in the database and have
MythMusic and MythVideo do a straight directory listing (I prefer this method
in MythMusic because I have my MP3s arranged in a certain way.  In this mode,
anything that's new in the directory automatically shows up.  If you combine
this with automount and some symlinks, you can have it automatically show
Video and MP3 CDs when you insert them, which is really cool.

If forget exactly where it is (I'm not at home at the moment and I can't
check), but it's in the settings somewhere.  If you have trouble finding it,
get back to me or maybe someone on the list who is more knowledgeable than me
can post the procedure...