[mythtv-users] Re:MythTV Help Website

David myth at dgreaves.com
Thu Apr 15 04:57:06 EDT 2004

Erwin van der Koogh wrote:

> The problem (that I am having at least) is that knowledge is extremely
> spread out. I really did have 60-70 browser windows open with google,
> mailing list archives and there were little tidbits of information,
> hints, stuff to try. What would be invaluable (at least in my case) is
> the story of someone who has a PVR-350 in a pretty standard box and is
> living in Holland. It would be even better if he was using Debian (or
> even KnoppMyth) because that's what I run on all my servers and what I
> am familiar with.

That's me (apart from the Holland bit) - and I have nowhere public to
put (and maintain) my notes.

> And I think Wiki is especially suited for that. Users can document an
> entire install with intricate details. Details that wouldn't make
> sense to put in the general documentation. What I am saying is that I
> think Wiki can add quite a bit to the documentation already in place,
> not to replace it.
>
>> You are making some assumptions here, such as 1) someone will invest the
>> time to keep extensive documentation current, 2) people will actually
>> read
>> the documentation, etc.
>

> With Wiki, it's the users that are supposed to keep extensive
> documentation current, but with some minimal up-front quality control
> that would be pretty obvious. If everyone clearly states what hardware
> they used, what versions installed, what date it was last updated and
> maybe a link to a generic page with latest info, users can easily see
> how outdated a document is and if it would be relevant.

I'd suggest making it a 'register to edit' wiki (dunno if it'd work like
that but I'd suggest to at least give it a go) - that way if someone
puts things up that need clarifying then you at least know who did it to
ask them.

David