[mythtv-users] Gentoo + VIA Binary driver

Paul Smith cvpsmith at ncche.olemiss.edu
Wed Apr 14 16:09:30 EDT 2004

At 07:29 PM 4/14/2004 +0000, you wrote:

>Well, you definitely have a stepping 3, so the EDX fix is required if
>you're using software decode.  Double-checking that is probably a
>good thing to do (you might even want to blow away the work
>directory and the .tar from distfiles and start from scratch).

Doing this as we speak.  I'll let you know how it goes...

>I'm running MythTV 0.14-r1 straight from the portage ebuild.  I've also
>ran 0.13 on this box and had same performance.  It also looks
>like your Epia setup (kernel version, XFree version) is very close
>to the same as mine (and I haven't noticed any significant change
>with the different -epia kernels or Xfree-epias).
>
>What process is eating most of your CPU bandwidth?  If it's
>mythfrontend, the EDX fix is suspect.  If it's something else then
>I can't help out much - the incorrect MMX detection on the M10K
>was the only CPU-hog issue I've had with MythTV.

It's the mythfrontend process, so the EDX is suspect.

>Also, note that my ~50% CPU at 480x480 capture resolution is
>with software decode.  With hardware decode, the CPU drops to
>less than 20%.  Oh... and if you're using HW decode, the EDX
>hack is not necessary (since the mpeg decoding doesn't even
>touch the CPU).

Is there something that I need to "turn on" to get HW decoding to work?  I
was under the impression that, since I'm using the latest MythTV version
with -EPIA kernel and XFree, HW decoding would be automatic.  Is there
something I can check here?

>Oh... and the 480x480 is the MythTV capture resolution.  Actually,
>that's something to check.  In the recording profiles section of
>MythTV, check to see what your capture resolution/bitrate is.
>Mine is 480x480 with 4.5/6.0 Mbps.  Also, I believe MythTV
>just uses the ivtv binaries to change the resolution/bitrate.  It's
>possible that Myth cannot find the binaries and you're at the highest
>setting (720x480, 8/16 Mbps) - that would cause poor performance
>just because the M10K can't handle that much information.
>
>A quick way to check the mpeg encoding is to run mythfrontend
>from a terminal window and look at the output when you go to
>watch live TV.  Myth should output the mpeg stream info (resolution,
>bit rate, fps, etc.).

I'll have to check this later on when I'm in front of the machine (I'm at
work now).