[mythtv-users] Gentoo + VIA Binary driver

Paul W. Smith cvpsmith at ncche.olemiss.edu
Wed Apr 14 13:21:32 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 11:21 am, Mikhail D'Vane wrote:
> Hmm... I'm running Gentoo on my M10K and playback at 480x480 resolution is
> smooth (CPU at ~50%).  I needed to apply the EDX hack to cputest.c, though,
> since I have a stepping 3 CPU.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1.  What kernel are you running?  I'm on 2.4.24-epia1.  (I've also had
> success
>      with 2.4.25-epia1, but I didn't notice any difference in performance).

I'm running 2.4.24-epia1-r1and xfree-epia version 4.3.99.902-r3

> 2.  What's your CPU stepping?  (Look in /proc/cpuinfo.)

CPUINFO:
cpu family      : 6
model           : 9
model name      : VIA Nehemiah
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 999.540
cache size      : 64 KB

> 3.  Are you sure that the EDX patch has been applied?  Depending how you
>      chose to install MythTV, it's possible that cputest.c got overwritten.
>      install on mine I have to use a slightly different approach than
> normal emerge.  I have to:
>
>     - ebuild /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/<mythtv-ebuild-filename>.ebuild
> unpack
>
>     - go to the unpacked work directory and edit cputest.c
>
>     - ebuild /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/<mythtv-ebuild-filename>.ebuild
> merge

I used the same approach, but I'm gonna try it again just to be sure...

> 4.  When you refer to binary drivers, do you mean the binary video drivers
> or the
>      mpeg decoder driver (libddmpeg.so)?  I don't currently use the HW
> decoder
>      (can't apply any filters with it), but I have used it in the past and
> I found
>      you can pretty much just replace the libddmpeg.so file in the library
> with
>      whatever version you wish (Via's, Ivor's).  Performance/issues are
> different
>      between the various versions.

Since you're getting decent performance with Ivor's mpeg decoder driver, this
leads me to think that it is a configuration issue and changing the driver
won't help much.  What version of Myth are you running?  Also, where did you
set up your playback to be 480x480 resolution?  Is this an XF86Config
setting?

Thanks for the help, Mik!

--
Paul W. Smith
Coordinator of Computing Facility Operations