[mythtv-users] MythRadio module for DVB radio reception

Rob Willett rob.mythtv at robertwillett.com
Wed Apr 14 10:36:04 EDT 2004

Dan,

How topical. Just thinking about this.

One of my reasons for a DVB card is to get access to BBC 7 for recording old
comedies.

My comments below:

Quoting Dan Sheridan <djs52 at postman.org.uk>:

> I'm still quite interested in this issue, and I've got a few ideas, but
> I haven't done much with it yet.
>
> My first attempt, for analogue rather than DVB (posted to the list a
> while ago) was to fully integrate radio and TV -- radio just becomes
> another TV channel. This is already the case for DVB -- if the backend
> knows the channel is audio-only then it can just extract the appropriate
> part of the multiplex. The problem is notifying the frontend that the
> current stream is audio only. So this is my proposed solution:
>
> o The scheduler has got to be common to both the TV and Radio, so make
>   all channels appear in the scheduler

Agreed. There needs to be a single source or recording.

> o Add a "Live Radio" option which sets up an audio-only ringbuffer,
>   maybe some visualisations or something, and asks the backend to tune
>   to a radio channel. It will only select other radio channels when you
>   switch.
Does the backend tune to a radio station or just another data stream that
happens not to have video?

> o Restrict "Live TV" to non-radio channels
See bottom point.

> o Make "Watch Recordings" clever enough to distinguish between TV and
>   radio recordings and use the appropriate frontend.
Perhaps we record the audio as MP3's so it can be played in mythMusic easily. It
can;t be difficult to switch based one the file format.

> Of course, there's no need to make this DVB only -- provided the backend
> can cope with audio only channels correctly, it doesn't matter where
> they come from.
>
> Things that need to be done:
>
> o Mark audio-only (radio) channels in the database and audio-only
>   recordings in the database (and metadata?)
OK.

> o Change the next and previous channel functions to stick to radio or TV
>   channels as requested by the frontend
Why not leave them as they are, Freeview set's don't distingusih (or mine
doesn't). Why treat things differently, it only creates work.

> o Copy the Live TV part of the frontend and change (a little) to make
>   Live Radio.
Perhaps inject a video picture of the channel name into the stream from the
backend and then you don't need to change the front end at all. Keep's things
simple.