[mythtv-users] HDTV in Australia

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Apr 14 10:19:54 EDT 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:19:10AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On my latest attempts, the picture looks perfect (at first glance),
> but audio is... errr... unusable. I have only tried ABC recently.
>
> mplayer doesn't seem to support the resolution, at least not my
> version (or do I need to pass it some more parameters?).

I don't think I had mplayer working properly on HDTV either,
but Xine works. mplayer seemed to complain about the high level MPEG and
the very large resolution (1920x1440 or something like that).

> I am not sure how well this HDTV stuff is going to combine with
> MythTV, as they only appear to broadcast selected TV shows (I think).

True, everybody except channel 10 are showing only selected programs on
their HDTV station. Channel 10 are upconverting everything.

I notice that SBS, Nine and Ten all have AC3 on their SD channels now.
Personally I don't see any value in HDTV for me (I only have an analog
TV) except AC3 audio, which is now available on SD anyway. Except for
channel 7, who are in the dark ages as always.

Hamish