[mythtv-users] Need help with native lirc

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 10:08:05 EDT 2004

>From: "John Ross" <programming at johnwross.com>
>To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Need help with native lirc
>Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:49:51 -0500
>
>Hello,
>
>I've been using MythTV for quite sometime and just recently decided to also
>begin running Mythvideo and MythDVD.  So... irxevent control is no longer
>able to cover my needs for remote.  If I run video or dvd, as I leave the
>playback the focus is not returned to Myth.  Since my frontends (4
>frontends - 2 backends) do not have keyboards or mice, I cannot regain
>control of the machine.  As I said, lirc with irxevent is working fine for
>me.  But after recompiling with native lirc I have no joy.  Naturally I'm
>no
>longer starting irxevent &.  Lirc is started as per the MythTV howto in my
>rc.local file.  MythTV is started with the following script
>
>killall mythfrontend
>killall irxevent
>mythfrontend -l /home/myth/mythfrontlog.txt
>
>which exists as mythtv.sh in my .kde/Autostart directory.
>
>In the log for the frontend I get:
>
>2004-04-13 21:05:21 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
>mythtv: could not connect to socket
>mythtv: No such file or directory
>lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
>2004-04-13 21:05:23 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.
>
>And of course it does not operate.  I have gone to /dev and have set lirc,
>lircd and even lircm to 0777 (yes 777 since 666 wasn't working and I don't
>see the need for "security" on a machine that only operates as a
>mythfrontend).
>
>My config file (.lircrc) is:
>
>begin
>     prog = mythtv
>     button = ChannelUp
>     repeat = 3
>     config = Up
>end
>
>begin
>     prog = mythtv
>     button = ChannelDown
>     repeat = 3
>     config = Down
>end
>
>begin
>     prog = mythtv
>     button = VolUp
>     repeat = 3
>     config = F11
>end
>
>begin
>     prog = mythtv
>     button = VolDown
>     repeat = 3
>     config = F10
>end
>
>begin
>     prog = mythtv
>     button = SRS
>     repeat = 3
>     config = Escape
>end
>
>begin
>     prog = mythtv
>     button = Menu
>     repeat = 3
> [...]

It looks like you've got problems with Myth connecting to the LIRC
driver, but I also noticed that you indicate that you are using .lircrc
for a config file.  Myth uses ~/.mythtv/lircrc (you said you read the
howto, see: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.2).

I would try doing everything manually before I tried setting up the
daemon to run from rc.local (not how I would do it, but to each their
own).  Manually start the daemon, manually start Myth's backend, test
with irw and then manually start Myth's frontend (not via .kde/Autostart).
If irw worked you should see a socket connect message in syslog.  After
starting the frontend you should see a similar socket connect (or socket
error) message in syslog.  You may also want to make sure that you don't
have any variant versions of the LIRC library.  If you loaded LIRC from RPM
and compiled Myth that could be your problem.

Hope I've given you some ideas.  Let me know how it works out.

-- Harry O.