[mythtv-users] asus pundit + alsa spdif flailing

Paul Phillips paulp at improving.org
Tue Apr 13 16:54:28 EDT 2004

Aargh.  I finally had my myth box running correctly with 5.1 sound and sat
my wife down to demo our new digital library of DVDs.

Except audio was gone.  I hadn't changed anything and it had been working
fine for a couple days, so I figured it'd be a quick tweak.

Eight hours of miserable effort later, I give up.  It's gone, inside or
outside of myth.  What happened? I feel like I could have written a sound
system from scratch more easily.  The pain is greatest because I don't
know why I was abandoned to this symphony of silence.

A look at /proc/asound/pcm does not list the digital device that I think
is supposed to be there, and light is no longer emitting from the optical
output, though that state of affairs may be a result of one of the many
things I've changed trying to get sound back.  I am out of ideas and have
turned desperate.  The myth "WAF" plummeted last night when the movie
evaporated, so the marriage of myth and marriage may depend on my
recovering audio in the near future.

All software is the latest debian unstable, kernel 2.6.5.  I have read
and tried pretty much everything ever written on the net regarding alsa,
spdif, and intel8x0, no matter how improbable or ill-conceived.  The
IEC958 settings are all enabled, etc.

I anticipate my next move involving a circular saw.

mythtv at myth:~ $ lsmod |grep snd
snd_intel8x0           32132  0
snd_ac97_codec         61828  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm                93220  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_timer              25604  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         11268  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         7936  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            24096  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd                    53220  6
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi
soundcore               9952  1 snd

mythtv at myth:~ $ cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-00: Intel ICH : SiS SI7012 : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: Intel ICH - MIC ADC : SiS SI7012 - MIC ADC : capture 1

mythtv at myth:~ $ cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:       : timer

mythtv at myth:~ $ cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.4rc2 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux myth 2.6.5 #10 Sun Apr 11 23:17:35 PDT 2004 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
SiS SI7012 at 0x9400, irq 15

Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

--
Paul Phillips      | True debauchery is liberating because it creates no
Stickler           | obligations. In it you possess only yourself; hence it