[mythtv-users] MPEG2 Editing

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 13 03:41:01 EDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 11:27:29AM -0400, Scott Pouliot top-posted (grr):
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 2:25 AM +????, Will Dormann wrote:
>> At 01:59 AM 4/10/2004 -0400, [unknown] wrote:
>> >Basically.....I have to render the MPG twice...which takes a good chunk of
>> >time, but I'd rather not archive commercials since DVD-R's aren't exactly
>> >cheap at the moment...
>>
>> Seems somewhat redundant to me.   Cutting commercials with VirutalDub-MPEG2
>> and frameserving make a whole lot more sense.
>
> I agree, but I have yet to find another Windows app that will do it all
> reliably for me  :-(

DVD2AVI and Avisynth work well for me; they allow multiple editing jobs to
be created so that TMPGEnc can be run in batch mode.  A (somewhat dated)
explanation of how to use them to edit video ripped from a PVR is here:

http://alfter.us/tivo2svcd.shtml

As the URL indicates, it describes converting TiVo video to SVCD, but the
editing & encoding part isn't too different when you're putting MythTV video
on DVD.

  _/_