[mythtv-users] MPEG2 Editing

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Mon Apr 12 19:08:36 EDT 2004

    Ed> It edits DVB shows quite nicely.  They are in MPEG2 format,
    Ed> not mpeg4 format...

Hmmm, somehow I was getting confused. mplayer definitely says mpeg2.

    Ed> You may find that depending how you recorded your DVB show
    Ed> that they are in TS format, rather than PS though - use ts2ps
    Ed> to convert.  If you recorded using myth, then they are in PES
    Ed> format, and avidemux doesn't seem to support these, use remux
    Ed> from metzler bros to convert

My file appears to be in PES format (according to mplayer). Are there
any open source ways of converting this to PS?

metzler bros sounds like commercial software to me (correct me if I am
wrong), and when I did a web search all I could find was a car
insurance company...

>From your description, it would appear that mythtv receives DVB in TS
format, but re-encodes it in PES format? If so, why does it do this?

What is the difference between PES/TS/PS formats?
--
Brian May <bam at snoopy.apana.org.au>