[mythtv-users] ALSA and SPDIF Out For nForce2 Motherboards

Chris chasejunk at optonline.net
Sat Apr 10 01:49:34 EDT 2004

I could not get the ALSA:spdif (or other ALSA: values with various
.asoundrc plugin combinations) to work in Myth.  I was getting a
floating point exception.  So I stuck with using OSS in Myth.    As has
been pointed out, Alsa's OSS emulation uses Nforce sound device 0.  This
is your line in/out.  Alsa nforce device 2 (use "aplay -l" or "cat
/proc/asound/pcm" to find out for sure) is SPDIF output (the "IEC958"
device in the output of those commands) .

I set the OSS emulation to use device 2 for the /dev/adsp

In modules.conf I put:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
# module options should go here
options snd-pcm-oss adsp_map=2

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

The options line does the mapping.  Then in Myth : General settings I
set the audio playback device to /dev/adsp.

Initially, I also mapped /dev/dsp to device 2 (by also using dsp_map=2
on the options line above), the problem with that is that I capture
sound from Line In when recording in Myth using /dev/dsp.  So with
/dev/dsp remapped to device 2 no sound was being captured from my Line In.

Chris