[mythtv-users] Pundit with 350

malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Fri Apr 9 14:07:27 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Delis" <cedelis at uillinois.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 12:17 PM

> Has anyone been able to compare the output of the pundit and the 350?  I
recently
> bought a pundit and have a 350 installed in another box.  I am quite used
to the
> quality of the 350, so will I be disappointed if I use the pundit svideo
out?  Of
> course, I can perform the test myself (still waiting for CPU and memory)
when the
> time comes, but was wondering if they were even in the same "ballpark".
TIA,
> Chris

I don't have a pundit but I have both a 350 and a Chaintech MX 440 nVidia
card.  Right now I'm using the nVidia because the 350 lacked stablity.  We
had dma errors and frontend freezes at least once a day with the 350.
Granted we use the myth box a lot but isn't that what I built it for?

However the Myth recorded shows look pretty crappy on the nVidia card.
There are vertical bands (small and thin but noticable) and there always
seems to be a flicker or shimmer on the screen which sucks.
However when I play a DVD on the nVidia card it actually looks great?  This
confuses me because the myth recorded shows look great on the 350 out so I
know the recordings are good.  (recordings are been captured with a 250 and
a 350).

There must be a difference in the myth recordings and dvds in terms of
interlacing or refresh rates or something?

Also using the nvidia card I can't get over scan to work at all so I have
about an inch black line at the top and bottom of my screen.  Some have
mentioned to try nvidia drives 4363 (I think that's the number) but it was
made for kernel 2.4 and I'm on 2.6.

I hope your pundit svideo out works better than my nvidia because I plan on
building about 2 or 3 pundit mythboxes for some family members that want
one.

Later
Malcolm