[mythtv-users] MPEG2 Editing

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Fri Apr 9 11:25:47 EDT 2004

Jason Lee wrote:

> This may be slightly off-topic, but I'm curious as to what others are
> using to edit videos.  I have a PVR-250, so I have MPEG2 files to
> edit.  I want to cut commercials out of my recordings (side note:
> I've not used the built in commercial marking/cutting/transcoding as
> I've been unable to make it work.  I'd tag a file and mark it for
> transcoding, and the log showed the transcode process aborted due to
> "changes in the cut list file", start again, fail again, start again,
> fail again ad nauseum).

The message you're seeing is because you've killed your backend while it
was flagging commercials.  Running mythcommflag on the file giving the
error would have fixed that for you. Something like "mythcommflag
--force --file /path/to/file.nuv" should do the trick.  If it doesn't
try searching the archives for "cutlist update".

> At any rate, I've tried GOPchop, which works pretty well until I try
> to watch the resulting videos in MythTV.  When I fast forward, it's
> not a smooth jump as it is in unedited files.  Instead, it  gets
> really choppy with large, square pixelated chunks of the image (if
> that makes any sense ;).

Once you've edited the file the recorded markup table is no longer valid
this will cause all kinds of problems.  While it's possible to get
everything working smoothly, you'd have less hassle if you put your
edited file into MythVideo.