[mythtv-users] Jarrod's Guide for Debian?

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 8 12:09:18 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 19:55, Travis Roy wrote:

> >>others). I've decided that I like Debian the best, for a variety of

Attaboy :-)

> If you do go the Debian route, I would suggest installing with the new
> Sarge installer.. Makes life so much easier.

Well, if you do like debian best, then it's definitely not for ease of
installation, so I'd suggest to compile your own mythtv.

I have all on apt on my mythbox, but mythtv and it's modules are cvs in
/usr/local. Seperated from the system. There is an easy way to get all
the dependencies right with apt if you tell him you want to install the
src-pkg it will get all the stuff needed to compile it. Works like a
charm if the dependencies are correct.

Have a look at my sig, it's not for general hardware, but you can easily
skip the epia stuff. It's mostly compiler parameters and the kernel
config. It hasn't been updated for a while so there are some updates.

I'd use ivtv-0.1.10pre2-ng-ck23 (look at the ivtv-dev list) or simply
0.1.10pre2 and the ivtvdev X server (on ivtv-dev as well). I'll update
the walkthrough soon so maybe you'll find the links in there after the
holidays.

With the PVR350 there is no point in using packages for ivtv and myth
since development is fast and you'll want to keep up to date.

You can use the mythtv debs but I'd strongly recommend to compile your
own 2.4.25 and ivtv modules. Yes 2.4. not 2.6.

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough