[mythtv-users] Slow channel changing (was Mythtv questions)

John Sutherland garion at twcny.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 23:20:10 EDT 2004

Ok, I've been doing some playing around.

Here's what I've done: I have pointed my recording data to another machine via
NFS.. This knocked my channel change time to about 7 seconds.. Large
improvement.. I then changed my mysql database to a remote server.. This did
-not- change the time.. Still 7 seconds..

To answer some questions and emails I received privately:
1. My OSD time is whatever the default is, I have never changed it.
2. I am not using an external tuner app..

Here's what happens when I change the channel, maybe it'll shed some light
onto it for someone:

1. I press the channel change key (via the remote or keyboard)
2. The video pauses on the current channel
3. After a second or 2, it displays an image from the new channel, but is
paused.
4. after several more seconds, the video starts on the new channel, and the
OSD finally displays.

Doing a dd from video0 to video16, and then using the test_ioctl stuff to
change channels, it happens within second or 2.. So its something with MythTv
thats causing it..

Maybe tomorrow I'll go and get a new drive for the machine...

--John