[mythtv-users] Lirc receiver and directv from same serial port?

Josh jishywa at wi.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 23:00:18 EDT 2004

I bought a cheap motherboard for my myth box, it was so cheap that it only
has one serial port. I noticed that the serial connection I made for my
directv box, and the lirc IR receiver shown here in wonderful ASCII art:
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html
Use different pins (except ground, but that should matter should it?). So I
was wondering does LIRC occupy the serial port all the time? i.e. would it
block the perl script that dumps channel changing commands to my dtv
receiver or could they both peacefully coexist? I'd rather avoid spending
$20 on a serial card just for that purpose. Anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Josh