[mythtv-users] ME6000, Jarod FC1, PVR350, *DMA ERROR*

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 7 01:57:19 EDT 2004

bishop wrote:

> Henk Poley wrote:
>
>> The developers seem to dislike bugzilla, so.. no there is no bug
>> database... You could search the mailinglist for 'bugzilla' and see
>> whatever reason they had to not use it.
>

> I wish I could search the mailinglist;  not possible, from what I saw.
> Sure, I can grab the entire contents for the last month or two, and
> manually skim over it, but I see no content searching or anything.
> With the traffic on this thing, I'm not even sure I'd see the right
> message when it came up.

grep is your friend. :)

Download the gzip'ed text file, gunzip and grep for the words you need, i.e.

zcat 2004-March.txt.gz | grep -i -B 10 -A 10 -r 'pvr.\{0,1\}[2,3]50' | less

will show you 10 lines before and 10 lines after every occurrence of
"PVR" within 1 character of either "250" or "350" regardless of
capitalization in the file 2004-March.txt.gz and page it through
less--where you can type "/pvr" (without the quotes) to go to the first
occurence of "PVR" (case insensitive) and use "n" (no quotes) to go to
the next occurence and so on.  (Try to do that with a web search!)

Or, open the gunzip'ed text archive in your favorite text editor and use
its find capability.

Or, since the gunzip'ed archive is in standard "mbox" format, drop it
into your favorite (standards-compliant) mail reader (i.e. Mozilla,
Thunderbird, etc.) and use its search functionality.

Although it's a couple more steps than a web-based search, you have far
more control over the process (i.e. it doesn't automatically ignore
"commonly used words like a, and, the, etc." it doesn't limit the search
to subject only to improve performance; it allows you to search for
exact matches, regular expressions, filter results through some other
program (i.e. pipe the results of grep to grep -v to exclude results),
if you're using a mail reader, you can use it's thread-sorting
capability to browse related messages, and so much more).  I'll take a
text file over a web-based search anyday.

Happy searching.

Mike