[mythtv-users] current status of HDTV patches

Tue Apr 6 20:03:22 EDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Brian May wrote:

>     Daniel> I found some threads in Feb where danielk talked about a
>     Daniel> series of patches he has for HDTV:
>
>     Daniel> http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/~danielk/mythtv/
>
>     Daniel> Have these made it into cvs by now or are all myth HDTV
>     Daniel> users patching these in themselves?  Any other patches I
>     Daniel> should know about for HD?
>
> Last I tried HDTV, I got poor (read: unusable) audio quality, and the
> increased chance of the back-end crashing. Hmmm... Come to think of
> it, I will see if I can reproduce the crash with debugging info...
>
> Could the audio issue be related to these patches?
>
> Also I see a reference to "the hdtv signal check patch", where can
> this be found?

I am actually not sure which of Daniel Thor Kristjansson patches have been
incorporated into the cvs at this point.  I am pretty sure the "the hdtv
signal check patch" IS in there.

It used to be, that if I tried to tune to a station which was not
broadcasting, mythfrontend would "lock up", and have to be killed.
Now, when that happens, mythfrontend will return after about 15 seconds, and
let you exit gracefully.

HDTV works great for me.  The only audio problems I have, are caused by the
local CBS affiliate.  They claim they have their audio problems fixed at
this point, but I have not watched a show to verify.

Daniel Thor Kristjansson himself has audio problems on his WB station.  I
don't know if his problem is a Myth problem (HD-2000 driver?) or a station
problem.

The only Myth related audio problems I see, happen when changing channels.
I cannot watch live TV and change the channel, without getting lots of
prebuffering pauses.  If I [ESC] out to the menu, and then return to live
tv, the problems go away -- until I change channels again...

I have Myth setup to record seven HDTV programs a week.  It has not let me
down in a long time.

It is critical to have all of your HD frequencies configured properly in
Myth.  If any of them are off, that can caused the backend to get very
confused.

John