[mythtv-users] Problems with alsa & spdif & myth

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 13:36:26 EDT 2004

> I'm new to digital audio, but just bought a new receiver with
> both optical and coaxial connections for it.  I have a ASUS
> A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo that has a SPDIF out on it.  What kind of
> cable do I have to get in order to hook up SPDIF out from the
> mobo to the receiver.  Is it an optical connection or
> coaxial?  I haven't found any useful information on this yet,
> not for lack of searching.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Brian

The optical connection is usually a little square plastic block with a dummy
plug installed. The coax connection is round and chrome and looks like a
standard audio connection. You can use a standard audio cable to connect the
coaxial type to your receiver but you must buy a special fiber-optic cable
to use the optical connection. Not sure if there is any difference in
quality.

If you check around you might find a good bargain at radio shack. They had
their optical cable marked down 80% a few weeks ago because they were
replacing all their stock.

PS - Please dont start a new topic by reponding to another topic. Its bad
form and you will not get many responces.