[mythtv-users] Mythtv Gentoo Epia M10000 kernel 2.6.1 hardware acceleration

David Lodeiro dlodeiro at inspired.net.au
Tue Apr 6 20:35:42 EDT 2004

Hi,

	I am sending this email in the hope that someone can see something that I am
missing with my setup. As the title suggests, my setup is a Via Epia M10000
running Gentoo with the 2.6.1 kernel. However, the kernel was using the
ebuild located at
http://epia.kalf.org/portage/sys-kernel/epia-dev-sources/
whick compiled fine and boots, the dmesg is located at
http://davel.humbug.org.au/dmesg
and kernel config is located at
http://davel.humbug.org.au/config
Xfree was built using the ebuild located at
http://epia.kalf.org/portage/x11-base/xfree-epia/
and it was
xfree-epia-4.4.0-r3.ebuild
Which emerged without errors. Xfree log is at
http://davel.humbug.org.au/XFree86.0.log
and Xfree config is located at
http://davel.humbug.org.au/XF86Config

The main problem that I am trying to get resolved is that of hardware
acceleration, wether it uses onboard mpeg2 decoding or not doesnt bother me
to much at the moment as the 1Ghz processor can handle it. The thing is that
at the moment glxgears only gives me about 60 fps and from what I see other
people are getting about 500 fps. I cant even watch tv with myth or dvd's.
Framebuffer is working and I can watch mplayer using framebuffer from the
console. Directfb also works fine, but I cant get hardware acceleration
working in X.

One thing that I am a little unclear about is, is it necessary / possible to
use the Xfree binary drivers of the viaarena website? Considering that I am
using a kernel and distro not supported by via.

My lsmod shows

Module                  Size  Used by
via_agp                 6144  1
via_v4l_drv           130448  0
via                    50080  1 via_v4l_drv

Any help would be mush appreciated, this is my last major hurdle in completing
my mythtv setup, I even have my custom bootsplash ready.

Thank you

David