[mythtv-users] sleep/wake with Jarod's guide

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Tue Apr 6 07:32:35 EDT 2004

Op dinsdag 6 april 2004 08:51, schreef Jesper Rasmussen:
> Henk Poley wrote:
> > Op maandag 5 april 2004 22:19, schreef Jesper Rasmussen:
> >>Im trying to make my mythbox to power "hard" off. It is an atx, and is
> >>able to do so, but in linux it just kill's off all processes and turns
> >>hd's off, but it does not turn the pc off compleately ... is there a way
> >>to force it to do so?
> >
> > I guess you use the command "shutdown -h now" (or "poweroff" for that
> > matter)? Any specific motherboard info? Since that's most of the time the
> > problem, chipset support. There are also some boot parameters that affect
> > this (noapm / noacpi can disable powerdown AFAIK). Is it a Dell maybe?
> >
> it is a 700mhz Duron with via chipset.

Ehm, VIA has probably 15 or so chipsets compatible with the AMD Duron. Could
copy what the following command outputs?

lspci | grep "Host bridge"

Googling for the chipset name with an additional 'linux' and/or 'shutdown'
might help.

> (and I have tried both the poweroff and the shutdown -h now)
> I have APM and ACPI enabled in kernel.

Yes, but don't you have them disabled per boot parameter? Take a look
at /boot/grub/grub.conf (or /etc/lilo.conf if you use lilo) to see what you
specify.

Any special ACPI or APM related messages in dmesg?

( dmesg | grep -i "acpi"
dmesg | grep -i "apm" )

	Henk Poley <><