[mythtv-users] IR Transmitter

Dan Morphis dan at milkcarton.com
Mon Apr 5 22:47:14 EDT 2004

To build the simple circuit, you'll need a few parts:

1 x 1N4148 diode
1 x 3k ohm
1 x IR LED (Can be scavanged from an old remote, or you can use LD 271)
1 x Soldier style db9 male

Soldier a wire on to pin 4 of the db9 header.  Take the other end and
soldier it to the anode (The end W/O the black line) on the diode.  Take
the other end of the diode and soldier it to one end of the resister.
Take the other end of the resister and soldier it to anode of the ir led
(The side w/o the flat spot [someone please correct me if I have that
backwards]).  Take the other end of the ir led and soldier it to pin 5
of the db9 male connector.

You should be looking at less than $5 in parts.  If you want a quick way
to test the circuit, fire up the camcorder and look through the view
finder while lirc is sending a signal.  A quick way to send the signal
is: irsend SEND_START <REMOTE_NAME> 1

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

-dan