[mythtv-users] Problems with alsa & spdif & myth

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Mon Apr 5 11:35:12 EDT 2004

Let me preface this by saying that I'm using the .14 release (as
packaged by gentoo). I'm using a PVR 250 as the input source. I'm not
using the cvs version. I CAN use the cvs version if someone suggest that
this might help.

Ok, the problem short and sweet is that I cannot get myth to output to
my spdif interface in alsa. Some specifics:

* spdif is on hw:0,2
* Myth seems to be using OSS. I've read other places where myth lets you
choose an alsa interface. For the life of my I cannot get myth to do
this. I'm guessing its only in cvs?
* I load the OSS emulation modules for alsa MAPPING oss outputs to
hw:0,2
* I verify teh above works by using rhythmbox in oss mode. It outputs
sound to dev/dsp in OSS and the modules are correctly outputting to the
spdif port.
* I have a .asoundrc in my home directory that designates spdif as the
default out.

Basicly, every alsa or OSS sound program I can find correctly outputs
sound. Except for myth.

Turning on debugging (-v all) in the front and back end shows no errors
opening devices, and shows that it is ooutputting via OSS.

Help :)