[mythtv-users] IR Receiver

blacklion at blacklion.org blacklion at blacklion.org
Sat Apr 3 19:56:11 EST 2004

It's possible that these questions are best asked on the Lirc list, but
I'm sure more people on this list have the answers that I'm looking for.

I recently built a Myth box.  It's been rock solid for me and I'm ready
to start using my remote control.  I have an All-In-One URC8910 remote
control for my TV and DVD player.  I'd like to use this remote control
for Myth also.  I've read that people have good luck with the All-In-One
remotes.  Has anyone had good or bad luck with this particular model of
remote control?

Along with the remote control, I am in need of an IR receiver.  I've
tried contacting the person in charge of http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/
but I've received no answer.  I've also looked at the units at
www.home-electro.com, but they are out of stock and are not posting any
information about when they will have any units for sale.  I'm not real
picky about the IR receiver, but I have two requirements:

1. I'd like for it to be as invisible as possible.  The wife is very
pleased with the small size of box that I built for Myth.  I don't want
to have any external IR receivers that are very visible.

2. I want an IR receiver that will just work, especially with the remote
control that I listed above.  USB or serial, it doesn't matter.  If I
need to, I can download source from CVS, recompile the kernel, all that
jazz.  But, I would like to get this working with as little hassle as
possible.  I don't mind learning about this stuff, but I don't want to
spend a week just trying to get my remote control working.  I realize
that there will some configuration required.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this hardware, I'd really
appreciate it.

BTW, here are my system specs in case that matters:
AMD 2500+ Barton
Chaintech 7NIF2 (with the serial port backplate installed)
Mandrake 9.2 (2.4.25 custom kernel)
MythTV 0.14
Haven't downloaded lirc yet.  If there are opinions on versions I should
use, please sound off.

Thanks a bunch.

Dalen