[mythtv-users] frontend client can not find backend server

daryl faulds nannyseeker2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 04:42:36 EST 2004

After following Jarod's setup guide (last mod
2004.3.31) I am stopped dead at the running of
"mythbackend" and actually using mythtv. All relevant
aspects of the install such as video card, recording
with sound, watching live tv through mplayer, etc.
seem to be working properly individually. (I am using
PVR250 as tuner and hardware capture.)

My question relates to step 13 "Setup mysql databases"
and the implementation in mythtv.

The setup doc:
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.14/database/mc.sql
has two SQL commands that create a database named
"mythconverg" and grant user rights to a user
"mythtv at localhost":

$ cat mc.sql
create database mythconverg;
grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv at localhost
identified by "mythtv";

Going through the setup screens in mythtv fills the
mythconverg database "settings" table with numerous
rows containing "localhost.localdomain" which is not
exactly the user set up by
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.14/database/mc.sql

This seems to me that it should fail when run in
MySQL.

Also my setup created a database "mysql" with a table
"user" where host/user/password information is stored.
This table has rows with host/user combinations
"localhost/root" "localhost/<nothing>"
"localhost/mythtv" as well as
"localhost.localdomain/root"
"localhost.localdomain/<nothing>"
"localhost.localdomain/mythtv".

It seems to me that when mythtv obtains host user
information from this table it might fail.

How are the successful mythtv users getting around
these? It seems to me that using
"localhost.localdomain" in mc.sql should be the way to
go. Also, it seems that the redundant entries in
db=mysql table=user might cause mythtv to fail for
some users and work for others depending how the rows
are stored. What should the db=mysql table=user look
like in its simplest form?

Thanks in advance.

Daryl Faulds