[mythtv-users] New user impressions: Mythtv+Matrox RRG

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Fri Apr 2 18:01:36 EST 2004

Mark J. Small wrote:

>(3)Changing the resolutions doesn't seem to change the file size!!!  If I
>record 2.5 minutes at 320x240 using Q=50, HD=2, VD=2, I get a 98 MB file.  If
>I record 2.5 minutes at 400X288 with the same other stuff, I still get a 98
>MB file.  Is it being forced to another resolution?  The manual for this card
>only lists the following resolutions for recording NTSC:
>704x480, 352x480, 352x240, and 176x120.

Capture size has no impact on file size.  Your file size is determined
by your bitrate.   The higher your bitrate the bigger your file size and
the fewer compression artifacts you'll see.  At lower bitrates a lower
resolution capture will tend to look better than a higher resolution
capture since there are fewer pixels to encode with the given bitrate.

>(6) I didn't see anything in the FAQ about mixer settings, but it was really
>important to set the line in volume to zero, otherwise I could hear the
>television as it was being recorded.  Rather distracting, especially while
>watching Live tv.  I'd hear both the recording and playback audio streams.
>Talk about Echo-land.  This may be a useful thing to put in to the install
>FAQ.

It's in there someplace...  I know I've read that bit of info and it
doesn't even apply to me.