[mythtv-users] Re:Pvr250 issues - any suggestions?

Adrian Byng-Clarke adrianbc at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 2 06:31:26 EST 2004

Funny, I was just going to enter this exact post...

I also have a PVR 250 and an Nvidia 5200. I am getting the really bad
interlacing that you described. I noticed that when I copied the file to my
Windows box and played the file in Nero Showtime, some of the interlacing
was still there. However, I was able to make adjustments within that program
to eliminate almost all of the interlacing (no totally perfect but very
good).

I am running the most recent Nvidia drivers as of this post so I guess we'll
have to wait a bit. I was thinking about trying my xbox as a myth frontend.
Perhaps the playback would be better since the video driver on the xbox is
more well established than the Nvidia 5200. I'm just hoping that the 733 Mhz
CPU will be enough to apply any filtering that is needed on the playback.

Someone also suggested that I could eliminate the problem by getting a non
MPEG card like the Hauppauge 401 and applying a bunch of filters. The thing
with that approach is that it would take a beefier machine that I have at my
disposal. Also - I had a nightmare of a time getting non-MPEG cards to work
before I sprung for the PVR 250. In this context, I was impressed with the
PVR-250's ease of setup but a little disappointed with the quality.

Do we have any control over the recording characteristics of the encoding on
the PVRs.Is it possible to apply interlacing, sharpness  and digital noise
reduction while encoding?

Adrian