[mythtv-users] Building MythTV over packages?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 15:40:34 EST 2004

On Thursday 01 April 2004 15:04, Alan Snyder wrote:
> > to "stow" a different one.  This works great, as it gives me the
> > ability to try out a new CVS release, but if it has a problem
> > I can go
> > back to a different version almost instantly.
>
> As long as the new version didn't update the database, right?
> Do you save a database dump, or have database updates so far
> consisted only of new variables or tables and not broken old
> versions?

*Usually* database updates only add new columns or tables.  If a
database change breaks older code (very rare), it's usually noted in
the mythtv-commits list.  You should definitely not use a CVS version
of Myth without being on the -commits list.

To date, I've never had a problem with the database using this method.
Of course, it's also rare that I switch back to an older CVS build once
I've built a new one.  Usually if there's a "showstopper", it's fixed
by the time I find it, and I just upgrade & rebuild, rather than
downgrade.

-JAC