[mythtv-users] ME6000, PVR350, Myth(TV)ology, /dev/video0 I/O error

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 1 14:12:03 EST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 02:03, bishop wrote:
> Jarod, Rudy, Ryan and Thomas,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I'm somewhat encouraged, and I don't hate
> everything nearly as much.  This gorgeous travla c-137 and enclosed
> ME6000 has not yet been reduced to tiny bits.

Glad to hear it!

> I've inserted responses in the body of the letter.

Doing the same here... Though I think I just saw on the list that you got it
working by simply backing off to an earlier ivtv release.

> > Definitely double-check /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg to see what
> > device ivtv is assigning to your 350. Like Ryan said, it might be
> > getting a different device number.
>
> /var/log/messages seems to suggest I'm on /dev/video0:
>  > Mar 29 17:58:53 otnemem kernel: ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0
>
> Is that the line we like?  /var/log/dmesg is devoid of strings 'ivtv'
> and '350', and I'm thinking that it'll be no use.

Yep, that was it.

> > The VIA boards are a slightly different story, and I doubt 100%
> > adherence will work with them. I've actually got an ME6000 sitting on
> > the shelf next to me, and a 350 doing nothing right now, but no time...
> > (May change shortly!!! I find out Thursday)...
>
> Hopefully you're not getting The Ax, are you?

Nope. Quite the opposite. More details soon, perhaps...

> > I'm not sure about FC1, but I know Torsten runs a 350 on his ME6000,
> > though under Debian. Reading over his doc (can't recall the link, search
> > the archive) might help lend some insight.
>
> I'll grovel for enlightenment, then.  Thanks for that.

I need to read over Torsten's doc again myself... He replied in this thread,
so we even have a link now. ;-)

> I'm not setting up the official via drivers for its TVout, hoping to
> bypass that and just use the 350 (realistic?  advised?).

I think that's the way to go. The ME6000 is too slow to keep up very well with
full-rez mpeg2, IIRC.

> My stock
> Axel Thimm kernel, that I installed as part of the Myth(tv)ology Guide,
> doesn't *seem* to have any Via vid drivers, although the sound ones load
> well.  I remember reading that the VESA drivers would be used for the
> VIA vid chip, and the logs I saw only supported that.

That sounds right.

> /var/log/messages says, among other things:
> > Mar 29 18:00:53 otnemem kernel: ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0
>
> I only barely suspect that was the line you wanted to see, but I can
> make the entire thing available via http if that's not the right line
> and you want to see it all.

Nope, that was it!

> >> Check to make sure that /dev/video0 or video1 even exist (did you run
> >> the mknod commands?)
> >
> > Both of those (and video[2,3]) are created automatically at system
> > install time.
>
> I *did* run the mknod commands, and they created a whack of devices, but
> those devices are being recreated at boot (with root.root chown;  how do
> I chg that to chown myth.root when they're auto-created?) .

Being reset to root.root on reboot is the proper behavior. When you log in as
user mythtv, that should change on the fly to mythtv.root.

> > ivtv: version 0.1.9 (0.1.10pre1) loading

So folks, if things start bombing after updating your ivtv drivers, check to
see if this is the one you have. Apparently, it works much better with
certain cards, but tanks some previously working cards... In such a case,
revert to the older 0.1.9 (non 10pre1) release. Unless you happen to have two
cards, one of each, in which case, wait until the new driver stabilizes if
you want to use both of them... :-\

> > One day, I may just get my 350 onto this ME6000 (still need to find an
> > optimal case for it)... Until then, we'll try to help you through the
> > pain and suffering. In the immortal words of Rob Schneider's character
> > in The Water Boy, "You can do it!". ;-p
>
> Thanks for the encouragement.

No problem.

> My Travla c137 is a great case.  I tossed in a Zalman RC56 connector
> (http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/fan_controller/rc56.jpg) to
> dull out the 60mm fan, but that was the only thing it needed.  It has a
> random hole near the middle-top of the case, which may even be abused
> with a UIRT inside there - no mounts tho.
> http://www.casetronic.com/Product/PCcase/C137/Images/c137-front-600.jpg
>
> http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code
>=M&Product_Code=100319&Category_Code=Mini-ITX

Me like.

> If/when this thing's all going, and hopefully after it's net-booting
> too, I'll report on the heat and noise level.

I think I'm going to try the net-boot thing soon myself...

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/