[mythtv-users] Xine video file quality?

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Thu Apr 1 07:23:28 EST 2004

Not to start a mplayer-vs-xine war here, but where are the quality
settings for Xine output? Running mplayer vs Xine on a video file (e.g.
divx) from the command line without any other switches than
"fullscreen"/"zoom", mplayer gives a very noticably better image on my TV.
Xine OTOH shows block artefacts and extreme blurring around details (on,
say, a black line on a bright one-colour field, like a cartoon).

My theory is that mplayer simply has a better scaler algorithm, but surely
Xine must have something similar?

I'd like to stick to one player for now (easier to maintain, configure,
etc.) and since mplayer doesn't support DVD menus, and won't for some
while from what I've read, it will probably be Xine. Also, Xine seems to
have more on-the-fly control, while mplayer relies on the command line (?).

--
Niklas Brunlid