[mythtv-users] Need help picking out new motherboard / cpu

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 1 03:39:47 EST 2004

On Mar 30, 2004, at 16:34, Mitko Haralanov wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:31:53 -0500 (EST)
> Daniel Walton <dwalton at cisco.com> wrote:
>
>> - Edited my XFree86 setting to enable all the hardware goodies of the
>> MX440 and now I can play the stream with no jerks or audio problems
>> with the cpu at 85%
>
>> From what I have heard and read, I did not think that it would take
>> 85%
> of a 2GHz CPU to decode and MPEG stream, especially with hardware
> decoding done by the GeForce4? Then, again I could be wrong...

There is no hardware decoder. The GF4 provides some help, but it is far
from full-out decode. And I'm not sure if Daniel was running with XvMC
support compiled in or not. I assume not, because I've heard that with
XvMC support compiled in, you might actually be able to watch on a
1.8GHz P4 or Athlon XP ~2000 without many problems, but it doesn't look
as good as leaving XvMC off.

Daniel, was that 85% cpu running in Xine-HD, or in Myth? I've heard of
a 3GHz HT P4 sitting at 70% when playing back in Myth with all the
goodies enabled, so 85% on an Athlon XP 2800 doesn't surprise me at
all. That's why I have a 3200 in my machine (for when I finally get my
pcHDTV card out again)...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...