[mythtv-users] questions about new hardware

Sam Byrne mythtv at ardentworks.com
Mon Sep 29 17:59:13 EDT 2003

I am running a P4 2.4 Ghz machine with 1 gig of RAM and an AverTV card
(no hardware MPEG encoder/decoder).  The incoming signal is from a
DirecTV satellite connection.  Since I have an external tuner, I use a
channel changer script to switch channels.  All this runs under RH9 with
ALSA for sound.

My question is this:
I would like to know if there's any way to speed up the response when
changing channels.  I don't guess there's a way with the external
directv sat receiver, but I didn't know if maybe there was perhaps
another way (besides using an external receiver) to handle satellite TV
input using Myth.

Also, I am thinking about purchasing another TV Tuner/capture card to
allow live TV viewing while recording a separate program.  Any
suggestions on the best card to purchase for best interaction with
MythTV (I'd like to get one with Hardware encoder/decoder)?

Thanks.
Sam