[mythtv-users] installation failing with apt-get

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Sep 29 14:25:45 EDT 2003

On Monday, Sep 29, 2003, at 05:18 US/Pacific, Capriotti wrote:

> At 03:14 AM 9/29/2003, you wrote:
>> On Sunday, Sep 28, 2003, at 20:42 US/Pacific, Capriotti wrote:
>> Let's see what I did and did not, according to
>>> http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250
>>
>> Did and did not do? So you took a step by step guide on how to do it,
>> and chose to simply not do parts? What, did you think half the steps
>> were put in just for fun? I can understand some of the parts that are
>> hardware-specific, but if a guide tells you "install this software"
>> and
>> you don't, you can't really complain much when it doesn't work... :)
>
> As I explained in another - private - email, I apologize for this. I
> never meant to say that the instructions were not working, and I
> really can't claim "this does not work" if I don't follow the
> instructions. Ture.

Thank you for the clarification. :)

> Anyway, I was simply trying to get the packages installed and that's
> what brought me to the list. I was trying to give an idea of the
> environment I had, with as much information about my system as I found
> to be pertinent.
>
> I suspected I had a problem with apt and will try something in that
> direction.

There appears to be a few things amiss with apt of late...

> One thing that I forgot to mention: the very last line after the
> atp-get install mythtv-suite
> reads:
>
> E: Broken packges
>
> But I think you already know that.

Huh. I did not, but then I hadn't yet had a chance to test some things
out... I'm in the midst of doing said testing right now...

> On another note, I was fiddling with synaptic and found the
> mythtv-suite option to be present there. Trying to add it generated
> several "strange things are going on in the world" messages on the
> console. Yet, it installed a bunch of things (codecs, mplayer, skins,
> infrared remote control, etc), but never mentioned one single package
> about mythtv.

If it didn't work via command-line, I wouldn't expect it to work in
Synaptic either.

> Finished the installation of this support stuff, I went back to
> synaptic and checked for the mythtv-suite again, and it was not
> installed. Under the dependencies tab, all of the mythtv modules were
> red (indicating broken packages) and the last 3 in black.
> mysql-server, mysql (both from the original RH9 install) and atrpms.

You MUST install MySQL. It is used for far more than just the TV
schedule (for example, capture card settings are stored there). Not
sure if this has anything to do with the broken packages message, but
you definitely need MySQL installed (and qt-MySQL). It is actually a
requirement for installing mythtv-suite, but not for the sub-packages
(which probably needs to be changed; it should be a req. for just about
any of the rpms, since each can be installed individually and most do
need it). I've written Axel about this.

> I really think  there is something wrong with the repositories.

Well, just now, I took a mythtv-less system, and ran apt-get install
mythtv-suite on it, and everything worked just fine... But then I have
mysql, qt-MySQL and atrpms already installed on that system. From what
I can tell, the repo is fine.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE