[mythtv-users] DVB - mpeg2 recording possible?

Mon Sep 29 17:21:12 EDT 2003

> > I just got a DVB(-S)-Card and im currently experimenting with varios PVR
> > software under linux. MythTV rocks imho, but as far as I understood,
> > recordings are always stored in the nuppel-video-format, no matter if they're
> > from an analogue TV-card or from DVB. Since DVB outputs directly a high
> > quality mpeg2-stream, I think it might be better for DVB-only-use to record
> > in mpeg2. Is this already possible or planned? DVB-users: Are you satisfied
> > with the transcoded recordings?
>
> If it is mpeg2, tell mythtv to use the card as a hardware mpeg2 card in
> the setup.

DVB does record into mpeg2 files.  If you want you can even drag the files back into windows and play them without transcoding.  Bitrate is about 900Mb per hour for terrestrial in the UK and res is 720x576 usually (16:9).  Quality is excellent

However, there is actually a DVB option which you should choose when setting up your card.  Setting up the channels themselves is currently undocumented and you should look back a few weeks for messages with DVB in the subject which describe how to alter the channels_DVB table, and you should also apply Kenneths latest patches.

Ed W