[mythtv-users] DVB - mpeg2 recording possible?

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Mon Sep 29 17:34:16 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 16:14, Hyronimus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got a DVB(-S)-Card and im currently experimenting with varios PVR
> software under linux. MythTV rocks imho, but as far as I understood,
> recordings are always stored in the nuppel-video-format, no matter if they're
> from an analogue TV-card or from DVB. Since DVB outputs directly a high
> quality mpeg2-stream, I think it might be better for DVB-only-use to record
> in mpeg2. Is this already possible or planned? DVB-users: Are you satisfied
> with the transcoded recordings?

Hi,

I don't know about DVB cards, but a PVR250/350, which is an analogue
tuner card with H/W mpeg2 encoding, records directlt to mpeg2. Should be
the same with any TV card that outputs mpeg2 on /dev/video.

Test:

- Load your card driver
- cat /dev/video > test.mpg
- mplayer -vo xv test.mpg

Look at mplayers output to see if it is an mpeg-ps stream and
resolution.

If it is mpeg2, tell mythtv to use the card as a hardware mpeg2 card in
the setup.

Torsten