[mythtv-users] installation failing with apt-get

Capriotti capriotti at mpcnet.com.br
Mon Sep 29 10:18:42 EDT 2003

At 03:14 AM 9/29/2003, you wrote:
>On Sunday, Sep 28, 2003, at 20:42 US/Pacific, Capriotti wrote:
>Let's see what I did and did not, according to
>>http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250
>
>Did and did not do? So you took a step by step guide on how to do it,
>and chose to simply not do parts? What, did you think half the steps
>were put in just for fun? I can understand some of the parts that are
>hardware-specific, but if a guide tells you "install this software" and
>you don't, you can't really complain much when it doesn't work... :)

As I explained in another - private - email, I apologize for this. I never
meant to say that the instructions were not working, and I really can't
claim "this does not work" if I don't follow the instructions. Ture.

Anyway, I was simply trying to get the packages installed and that's what
brought me to the list. I was trying to give an idea of the environment I
had, with as much information about my system as I found to be pertinent.

I suspected I had a problem with apt and will try something in that direction.

One thing that I forgot to mention: the very last line after the
atp-get install mythtv-suite
reads:

E: Broken packges

But I think you already know that.

On another note, I was fiddling with synaptic and found the mythtv-suite
option to be present there. Trying to add it generated several "strange
things are going on in the world" messages on the console. Yet, it
installed a bunch of things (codecs, mplayer, skins, infrared remote
control, etc), but never mentioned one single package about mythtv.

Finished the installation of this support stuff, I went back to synaptic
and checked for the mythtv-suite again, and it was not installed. Under the
dependencies tab, all of the mythtv modules were red (indicating broken
packages) and the last 3 in black. mysql-server, mysql (both from the
original RH9 install) and atrpms.

I really think  there is something wrong with the repositories.

[]s