[mythtv-users] pvr250 dct2000 and modular serial port

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sat Sep 27 19:14:51 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 17:00, Gary Balliet wrote:
> So - life is good - an incredible piece of software and I've managed to
> get it running more or less stable (pvr250 and bttv tv-wonder) nforce 2
> board 2.21 patched kernel and bttv 9.11)(won't go into bttv issues right
> now - doesn't burble that often anyhew). But I would love to be able to
> control my dct 2000. Lonny has had some success - so has Ian. I'm really
> curious as to whether Harondel has? As per Jarod's instructions I have
> made my serial ports modular but now I am at a loss. Have googled my way
> into verifiying that I have a serial port - as below, but do I need to
> do something a bit more enlightened than modprobe serial to allow my
> onboard serial port to work?
> My results so far.

Actually, as Jarod said, if your serial ports are enabled in the BIOS,
they should just show up.  I'd just do a:

# grep ttyS /var/log/messages

and see what it gives you.  I haven't done anything with LIRC in a long
time.  (Too much of a pita for me - which is why I got a wireless
keyboard...)

> setserial /dev/ttyS1 -v autoconfig
>
> /dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3

Make sure you've plugged into the right serial port.  I'm using
/dev/ttyS0.  The only time lirc and serial are involved in the same
interaction is when you've got a serial IR dongle attached to the box.
Since that's not the case here, lirc is not the issue.

> So i believe I have a serial port and that it is enabled. Would love to
> know if this is related to the lirc port ie does lirc grab /dev/ttyS1 re
> the pvr250?  Anyone know if this is just /dev/lirc?  To finish my
> ramblings changechannel.sh gives the infamous
>
> [mythtv at linuxbox mythtv]# ./changechannel.sh 23
> changing channel to  023
> chancode is
> Recvd:
>
> Recvd:
>
> Recvd:

If you're using myth CVS you should probably grab the newer
changechannel.py script included in the dct2000serial.tar.gz.  One less
script is a good thing...

> Yes Harondel - I have 7.44 same as you. I also work for Shaw and I still
> can't get them to install anything newer.

I'm running 7.54 on mine.  I don't know if 7.44 will work.  But bear in
mind - even with a good firmware version on your cable box, the serial
port on it still has to be enabled.

So to sum up, first, I'd check to make sure that you're using the right
serial port on the Linux box.  Then I'd make sure that your cable box is
listening on its serial port.  (If you have a Tivo, you can use Embeem's
script to verify that the cable box supports serial channel-changing.)

	-Ian

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com