[mythtv-users] Front-panel controls for MythTV box?

Nick Silberstein nhsilber at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 16:37:28 EDT 2003

[Itai] I got a reply from Nick Silberstein by private email, I'm
forwarding it to the list for all who might be interested in this
thread. [/Itai]

Itai Tavor wrote:

> I'm thinking about building a custom box for my MythTV system, which
> would sit with my A/V components, and probably have an LCD display. So
> I thought, if it can be operated without a TV, maybe I should give it a
> way to be used without a remote.
>
> So the question is, does anyone have any ideas about how I could send
> key presses from front-panel buttons to myth?

Since you want a LCD display already, simply purchase a
LCD/VFD display that has a keypad interface.  I have a
Matrix Orbital VFD and a membrane style keypad which works
very well.  The keypad has a pigtail connector that plugs
into the VFD module, the module fits into a bay/frame that
sits within 2 5.25" floppy bays, a DB-25 serial plug
connects to one of my serial ports to drive the display and
receive keypad presses, and the whole thing gets power off
a modified floppy-power cable.

There are now USB modules (not available when I purchased
mine, several years ago) as well.

Here's an example:
http://www.matrix-orbital.com/pages/
product_view.asp?CatID=2&ProductID=103

It's a 20x4 character VFD (vastly superior to LCD, much
brighter and more readable) with USB connector, supports up
to a 25 key keypad.  The serial units are slighly cheaper.

The Matrix Orbital modules are expensive, but there are
alternatives which are quite nice and much more reasonably
priced.  Make sure they're supported by lcdproc --
http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/?continue=yes -- before you
buy!  I have had very positive experiences with Matrix
Orbital, their support staff, etc so I would recommend them
highly despite the price premium.

Nick

=====
--