[mythtv-users] OSS -vs- ALSA sound

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 26 15:24:40 EDT 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 04:51 pm, David Meiser wrote:
>  From what I understand, the kernel OSS and ALSA are mutually exclusive
> (i.e. - one specifically means you cannot use another).   Mostly, this
> is because they both need to access the same hardware (i.e. - the sound
> card).

/Almost/ correct.  You can mix ALSA & OSS for different cards; i.e., you can
drive one card with ALSA and another with OSS.  This is actually what you
must do when you use ALSA for your sound output card but use btaudio for your
input.  Btaudio is actually an OSS driver; the ALSA btaudio isn't quite there
yet...

-JAC