[mythtv-users] PVR 250 Interlaced Playback issues on mythfrontend

Joseph Kennedy josephk at mac.com
Thu Sep 25 23:40:19 EDT 2003

Well, first I should probably spell Billy Bigg's name properly.

For the g400, the only way to allow for proper interlaced video is to
use the patched DirectFB within an app that is aware of it...so if
someone wants to give Myth DirectFB support for the proper interrupts
you could then get synched interlaced tv...at least this is my
understanding.

PVR350 decoding and tv out has  progressed, and unlike the Dxr3 cards,
can support the myth gui and X.  I was told that it is definitely not
ready for release though...I think tmk said he got it to work fully as
of this morning...lol...this might be the best option for everyone when
it's complete....I'm not sure how it handles video to sync with a tv.

Maybe most people use half size video and bypass any interlacing issues
that might exist...I tried this with my PVR250 and it looked like crap,
but would probably look ok with a bttv card.

If I use nvtv to set flicker to 0, set horizontal and vertical overscan
and displacement to 0 in myth, then pre-buffer the stream until I can
visually bring the video into sync, my Geforce3 with BT869 tv encoder
will display broadcast quality tv exactly as I see it regularly with no
degradation in quality whatsoever.  After about 5 minutes the field
order will change. Turning on De-interlacing brings mice teeth, blurry
motion, and overall frame blurring.

Chutt dislikes me:(

I'm not a jerk IRL, but I type like one on IRC...lol

The tvtime de-interlacers in xine look very good, and would probably
eliminate the issues I am seeing when turning on de-interlacing...the
59.94 fps wouldn't hurt either;D  I don't know how hard they would be
to bring to myth.

There was a patch introduced by Richard Jones  in late May which gave
myth different de-interlacers of varying qualities.  He said that they
were not as good as tvtime's (and that tvtime took more care to get the
timings right) but they were better quality-wise than the linear blend
that is built-in.  At some point they were removed...Richard said they
were only half done, and required you to restart the frontend for
changes to take effect.

Just some observations and things I've seen, heard, read,
misinterpreted,etc..  If anyone could please comment on their own
setups and experiences, I would appreciate it.  Feel free to correct me
wherever needed.

Thanks!
--Joe

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 06:46 PM, Brendan Kelly wrote:

> Joe did you find anything out?  Thanks for digging into this problem.

<image.tiff>