[mythtv-users] Mosix and Epia-M

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 25 17:36:00 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 25, 2003, at 13:29 US/Pacific, Chris Petersen wrote:

> I've had issues with (open)mosix not wanting to migrate processes like
> audio/video encoding because it's quite disk-intensive.  But that was
> before MFS was easily available, and I haven't tested with MFS.
>
> I've also had trouble with the openmosix kernels not properly linking
> GL, thus preventing any kind of video acceleration.  Nor could I
> compile
> the pundit's network driver with the openmosix kernel.
>
> I'd *love* to get this kind of thing running, though...  I could run
> all
> transcode processes on my myth box, and when it's available, mosix
> could
> migrate work over to my dual athlon workstation.

There's a readily available model for exactly that type of thing in
dvd::rip. I have yet to actually do anything with it myself (under
dvd::rip), but I should, because I've got plenty of idle processing
power laying about... I'm not sure if it uses mosix or not though
(dvd::rip launches a cluster-management daemon on port 28646, but I'm
not seeing what the actual engine is right now).

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/doc/cluster.cipp

> Granted, this is all in redhat.

Likewise.

--Jarod