[mythtv-users] MythTV issues. [Beware, Newbie Inside]

brian at brianmoses.net brian at brianmoses.net
Thu Sep 25 18:55:48 EDT 2003

My roomate and I are both using MythTV on our computers.  Unfortunately (for
me), he's had quite a bit more luck than I have.

First of all, I'm an utter newbie.  I've had very limited exposure to Linux in
the past, and just now put together my first Linux box to finally start learning
on.  My roomate's pretty much a pro, and he's been a big help (and I'm sure I've
been a big headache too) so far in getting everything up and going.  But now,
I'm having a few issues with my MythTV installation that I would welcome any
input on.

I've been searching through the archives, and will continue after posting this
message. Up until now, I've been reluctant to do anything drastic for fear of
making matters worse.

1.  MythTV Live TV "skips" every few seconds:  When watching live TV theres a
perceptible skip in the video/audio. Its constant.  I tried to replicate the
issue in xawtv, and don't have any problems there, nor do I have any problems
when I wat a recording. I've tried reducing the video quality, tried the
Expirimental A/V Synch and similar options, (jitter reduction is selected).

2. MythTV Frontend hangs when trying to use it over the network. I never get to
the menu. It just hangs at the blue background.  I found a Mini-HowTo in this
post, I've followed that to the "T", but still seem to be having issues:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=68013;search_string=Debian;guest=1249466&t=search_engine#68013

3. MythWeb doesn't seem to properly save new recordings.  I go in, and select
the program to watch. And make sure to hit the Update Settings button, but when
I go and check the Scheduled recordings, the new recording isn't listed.  But
on the program listing the newly scheduled recording will show up by placing a
dotted border around the timeslot being recorded. Additionaly I can delete
scheduled recordings w/o any problems.

4. MythTV likes to hardlock the entire PC when watching LiveTV.  I want to say
this doesn't happen when I run the front end as root, but I'm not 100% sure
because I've been busy worrying about program #1.

My hardware/software is as follows:
Debian Woody
AMD XP1800
256mb PC-133
AVerTV Stereo
60gig WDC 5400RPM Drive
Aureal Vortex2 chip based sound card.

Anyways, if anyone has some tips/tricks they can share, or can point me in the
right direction, feel free to respond.

Thanks in advance for the time it took just to read this email :)