[mythtv-users] Hard disk speed needs for MythTV system

Thu Sep 25 10:32:35 EDT 2003

Just to add another data point.  I have bought one of the 300GB Maxtor 5,400 drives and it works quite nicely. (they do a 7,200 range as well)

The machine is somewhat slower than with a Baracuda 7200.7, however, it's still quite acceptable.  I only really notice it when doing an "emerge sync" under gentoo.

It's probably not much of a cheaper option than just buying 2 baraccuda's but the drive is pretty quiet, and it's convenient just having the single drive.

Score: between 7/10 to 8/10...