[mythtv-users] Double-audio. And yes, line in is muted and set to record.

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Tue Sep 23 18:41:50 EDT 2003

On 23 Sep 2003 at 13:22, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/kmix.png

Hmmm, that's interesting from a number of perspectives....

Are you using alsa or oss?  I've previously noticed that when I switch from
oss to alsa, the mixer choices change.  After a recent kernel compile after
which I ended back up with the default kernel oss drivers and kudzu redected
the card, I ended up with my current mixer as mentioned in the previous
email, since reinstalling/setting up alsa again, the mixer strangely enough
hasn't changed to the one I've come to expect from alsa.

Everything otherwise works fine though.

> So you don't actually have the sound card hooked to the amp via digi
> coax? Everything works fine in another machine of mine where I was
> using analog out. (a few minutes pass)

Not currently, however that is in the plan. Not sure if I'll need to replace
my amp, as AFAIK, it will only play non digital audio via the analog inputs
on the amp. I haven't tried using a coax only cable. Although that would sure
simplify cabling for me.  I do have the digital I/O card for my SBLive which
has an spdif in and out so I may just give that a try when I have a few spare
minutes.

> Okay, I just tried hooking to the analog out on the card, and it
> exhibits the same problems. Dammit.

That's about what I expected

> I'd love to just use btaudio, but it don't work. Can't ever get the
> bttv drivers to detect an msp34xx chip.

I used to have an avermedia card in my machine however it also wasn't btaudio
capable, maybe you have one of the aver cards with the sony chipset.

> I have these in kmix (many more in alsamixer...):
Seems to me that is the mixer for alsa.

> Entering and exiting xawtv clears the continuous playing audio problem.
Good, that's expected.

> Clicking lGain does weird things that produce echoes... I have no oGain.
Yes, that I noticed, especially when playing cd's.

> As an aside, I have to repeat how crappy the AVerTV-captured video
> looks compared with the PVR-250 video.
Totally!!! I have about 6 or 8 tuners In order of visual quality, from best
to worst, in my experience:

PVR-250 looks amazing! I plan to get a second one soon.
ATI TV Wonder - depending on settings can look pretty crappy, normally looks
pretty good, although not as good as the pvr-250.
Aim's labs Videohighway/Vxtreme - decent video generally
WINTV Pci (similar to the wintvgo) - iffy, sometimes looks good and sometimes
bad, both in linux and windows
AVER TvPhone - looks crappy period, I've seen postings about the amount of
noise that their connectors introduce in the video

> I need the playback button on lGain checked also.
Hmm, yes that sounds right, I wish I had kept notes the last time I went
through this.

> Yeah, I'm still tinkering a bit.
Heh, maybe you post any notes you come up with.

> Thanks for the suggestions. Nothing seems to have helped just yet, but
> I understand things a wee bit better...
Well, that's to the good of all, I'm surprised more people haven't posted
about this since the Creative cards seem to be in high use judging by posts
on this list. Mind you dual tuner use seems much less common....

> I would definitely prefer to do that, but like I said, no msp34xx
> detected, so no btaudio. I posted a question about it to both the
Might I suggest dumping that card and getting a TV Wonder (not the VE), if
for nothing else than the better video quality.

> another go, but thus far, I've been SOL on the btaudio front, so dual
> sound cards seems inevitable...
Bummer dude.

--
Harondel J. Sibble