[mythtv-users] Recorded / Live-TV picture size scaling?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Sep 23 14:44:10 EDT 2003

Ingo Brueckl wrote:
> Only concerning a recorded or live-tv picture: What size should the X screen
> have compared to the capture resolution? Isn't a 480x480 X screen size best
> if the capture resolution is set to this value?

The X dimensions should be 4:3 for the aspect ratio to be
correct during playback. There is more room for error in the
broadcast quality, digitizing and TV output than there is in
the pixel alignment so matching the width doesn't really make
much difference.

> I tried a 1900x1200 X screen size and did not see much difference in the tv
> picture compared to a 640x480 X screen size. (The GUI looked better, though,
> but I do understand why.)

That makes sense. There is is same amount of data in the picture
either way but the GUI fonts will be sharper at higher res.

> The MythTV HOWTO says: "The full screen TV size is based on the X display
> size. The picture will be stretched to fit the entire screen regardless of
> the capture resolutions used.", and - later in the HOWTO -: "The TV picture
> will start in full screen mode. By default, the picture uses the recording
> resolution for its dimensions."

The last part is obsolete and I need to update it. The GUI and
TV picture used to be in separate windows and the TV could toggle
between fullscreen and windowed. Now that they are in the same
window the picture is always the same dimensions as the GUI.

--  bjm