[mythtv-users] Double-audio. And yes, line in is muted and set to record.

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 23 01:24:39 EDT 2003

I'm having fun. I just moved my AVerTV Studio card into my main MythTV
box, along side my PVR-250. I'm using an Audigy sound card (w/ALSA
0.9.6), feeding my amp via the Audigy's digital coax output. The audio
loopback cable for the AVerTV is now connected to the Audigy's line in.
Everything is peachy in xawtv on the AVerTV card (xawtv -c
/dev/video1), and everything is fine when I go into MythTV and start
watching Live TV (using my first input, the PVR-250's tuner). Then the
fun really begins.

Just for starters, after testing in xawtv, I did indeed set the capture
source to line in and then mute it. Now I go back into MythTV, schedule
up a recording (so it starts w/my first card, the PVR-250, no problem).
While recording, I go into Live TV, which now uses the AVerTV card.
Double audio, one version in time w/video, one a bit ahead. Fire up a
terminal, start alsamixer, verified that line in is muted. Not good.
Stop Live TV, audio continues. The line in is still on mute. Toggling
it does nothing. Very annoying.

Methinks that because I'm using the digital coax output, feeding an
outright DTS/Dolby Digital decoding amp, the card is doing nothing but
pass-through (which is a good thing I wish to have continue), but
pass-through also means it doesn't give a rat's ass what the capture or
mute settings are for line in. Can anyone confirm that, and/or give me
insight into a way around it?

In the mean time, I think I'll just simply re-enable the motherboard's
onboard audio, and use the onboard line in port. Dual sound cards...
There's something I have yet to try... Oh joy...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...