[mythtv-users] Anyone familiar with Shuttle computers?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Sep 22 10:53:01 EDT 2003

On Monday, Sep 22, 2003, at 00:14 US/Pacific, Chris Petersen wrote:

> (though much quieter than my dual athlon)

Tell me about it... Mine sounds like a damned Hoover...

>> What processor should I choose, given that the box is only for running
>> Myth (with a TV card with hardware MPEG)? I don't want to spend more
>> than necessary but also don;t want ot to struggle.
>
> Depends on what you want.  If you're going for hardware mpeg, stick to
> as slow of a processor as you can get.

Within some limits. I can still find places to get a P233 (used, but I
can still get 'em), which probably wouldn't be sufficient... :)

1GHz and up should all be more than enough for your situation.

> Avoid AMD (I know that this is generally a bone of contention, but my
> company ships > 10 times as many intel machines as AMD/Athlon, and we
> see *more* AMD machines come back with problems, so call this an
> educated opinion).  They're cheap, I have one for my personal
> workstation at home, but if you can afford to pay a little more and get
> an intel proc, do so.

Personally, I have philosophical differences with Intel. "Why design a
better processor when we can just push our crappy architecture faster?
What's wrong with a 493-stage pipeline?" I hope it bites them in the
ass with 64-bit (looks like it already is, case in point: the Itanic
:)... But do whatcha like.

> granted, the opteron series looks promising

Me want a 4-way... ;p

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE