[mythtv-users] Lirc is driving me crazy

Graham Siener gbs at alumni.brown.edu
Mon Sep 22 11:57:35 EDT 2003

I've looked through all the various threads, and it seems that some people
have gotten lirc to work with little tricks and tweaks, I however have not.

I've been following the ever-popular "Step-by-step guide to building a
MythTV box under Red Hat Linux 9 w/Atrpms," and everything was working
great.  I then started over because I decided to setup tv-out (was
previously using just a monitor).  I'm using a Matrox G400 so I had to
recompile stuff for framebuffer, which meant no apt-get kernel for me.
Everything is working perfectly, except lirc.

I can't use apt-get lirc-kmdl because I'm running a 2.4.20-20.9 kernel.  I
tried apt-get remove lirc, but that also wants to remove mplayer.  So,
against my better thoughts I left the apt-get install of lirc.  I then
searched for and removed the lirc_dev and lirc_i2c modules, and compiled i2c
from cvs.  All the services start, but irw doesn't respond to my remote
(this all worked before so I'm positive it's not a hardware issue).

I saw the recent post about removing "inc_use" and "dec_use" from the lirc
make file.  Unfortunately that didn't work for me.

I'd love to just use Axel's ATrpm with the --define kernel option, but there
is no spec file.

What should I do to get this working?  After working so hard to get the
matrox framebuffer setup properly, I can't believe this is my stumbling
block.  Somehow a remote looks a lot more appealing on a coffee table than a
keyboard...

Thanks everyone, I love Myth!

Graham

PS If anyone has questions on matrox g400 framebuffer stuff I'd be glad to
help, as I think I ran into every obstacle and they're still fresh in my
mind...

PPS Slightly OT, how do I run a script automatically after X starts in RH9?